Magnum Photos x PHOTO 2020: Student Intensive in Melbourne, Australia
Magnum Photos x PHOTO 2020 Student Intensive is a five-day educational program developed by Magnum Photos and PHOTO to encourage professional advancement among students and early-career photographers. The Student Intensive will take place in Melbourne, Australia between Monday 27 April to Friday 1 May 2020. This first iteration of this program will include a professional practice Seminar, Portfolio Reviews and an exclusive three-day workshop run by Magnum's international photographers and network of industry experts.
Magnum Photos and PHOTO2020 are providing a number of places to this program to local photographers. See below for details.
27th April: Seminar
The seminar will take place on 27th April 2020 from 10:00am – 4:00pm. More information on this event will be announced shortly.
28th April: Portfolio Reviews
The Portfolio Reviews provide a significant opportunity for artists and photographers to present their work to leading professionals in the field of photography for feedback and guidance. Find more information on this event here.
29th April - 1st May: The Workshop
This workshop will be led by industry professionals including Shannon Ghannam (Global Education Director, Magnum Photos, London) with more to be announced soon. Over three days participants will work intensely amongst the tutors and peers to produce a zine of students’ work to be showcased on the Magnum Photos website. This publication will capture conversations from the event, the challenges of working as a photographer today and advice on how to navigate these issues for use by the wider photographic community.
Eligibility for Photographers
• Victorian residents who are currently enrolled in or have graduated from a tertiary institution in the past 12 months
• Be available for the full dates of the program, 27 April – 1 May 2020
• Have completed or are developing a personal body of work with a broadly documentary or conceptual approach.
Positions in the Student Intensive have been allocated as follows:
5 x Victoria (open call)
5 x PHOTO 2020 New Photographers at SEVENTH Gallery, Melbourne
2 x New South Wales, University of Technology Sydney
1 x Western Australia, Curtin University, Perth
Where & When
Festival Hub, State Library Victoria
328 Swanston St, Melbourne
27th April - 1st May 2020
How to Apply
Please check that you are eligible before applying.
Upon submission applicants must supply:
• Cover Page including: Name, address, phone number, email
• Confirmation of enrollment in a Victorian tertiary institution or graduation from a Victorian tertiary institution in the past 12 months
• Cover Letter (max 1 page) addressing your reasons for participating in the program, what do you hope to take away from the experience and how might this opportunity benefit your career as an artist/photographer?
• Project Statement (max 500 words): What is your completed or current body of work about?
• CV (max 1 page)
• Up to a maximum of 20 images (sized 1024px by 768px)
Applications will be reviewed by Magnum and PHOTO2020 staff.
To apply, please click here.
To discuss your application, please contact Rachel Ciesla, Producer on +61 3 9413 2776 or firstname.lastname@example.org